Monday, January 13, 2014

The Power of Inspiration (Part 1)

The Power of Inspiration

     There are times in our lives where the existing conditions necessitate change. During these times we contemplate how to make these changes.  Do we dip our toes in the water? Or do we jump in with both feet?  A little over a month ago, a dear friend and colleague inspired me to check out the potential of using Twitter as means to improve my craft as an educator. Early on as I surveyed the landscape I was immediately impressed by the evident bond in exsistance that connected various types of educators, from superintendents to principals, to the classroom teacher.  The common thread was a passionate commitment towards improving the quality of education, in order to best serve the needs and interests of their students.
     Needless to say it didn't take long to be convinced of the inspirational powers of Twitter.  The thousands of educators sharing wisdom, support and resources in the name of professional growth inspired me to begin constructing my own professional learning network.  My early followers allowed me the opportunity to reconnect with one of the most passionate and positive educators that I know.  His support along with the positive energy of my many early followers has strengthened my passion for my craft and my students.  Sharing a common vision with educators around the globe has reaffirmed my belief that despite all of the challenges brought by educational reform, we must remain steadfast in our commitment to the growth of our students through exceptional educational opportunities.
     Inspiration is a powerful force that ultimately can change the direction of our lives when we least expect it.  If we follow the path of inspirational opportunity there is no telling what we can achieve.  Inspiration is a gift, and when it is bestowed upon us, the best way to show gratitude, is to look for opportunities to inspire others and pay the gift forward.

3 comments:

  1. Great post, Thomas! I totally agree with you…Twitter is an amazing place for educators to connect, collaborate, and interact with an amazing array of innovative, inspiring educators.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thomas,
    You are an inspiration! One month on Twitter and Blogging! It is truly inspiring to literally "meet" people in the "Twittersphere" and "Blogosphere" who can positively impact your life and your craft!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom
    You have a gift. You not only inspire the children who have the privilege of being your students, but the men and woman who work with you on a daily basis. Education is a targeted profession. Stay true to your commitment of positively changing the world of the students you teach. No one can cut that!

    ReplyDelete