Friday, December 25, 2015

A New Way to Give




As humanitarians there are many ways that we can give to each other.

We can volunteer our time.

We can share our talents.

We can donate our earnings.

We can choose to dedicate our lives to helping others, through work in various types of service careers.

We can continue to embrace that it is "better to give than to receive."

As time passes throughout our lives our understanding of this parable deepes. Life experiences and various influences shape our generousity as we grow as people.  On Christmas Day as I watched my love ones joyfully open their gifts, it was clear yet again that truth lies within these wise words. This Christmas though the exchanging of the gifts would conclude with an unexpected lesson in gift giving.

This year I learned that you can actually receive and give at the same time.   

Let me explain.

My sister in law Julie who recently adopted her second child is perhaps one of the most giving people that I know.  Her generousity knows no end. A teacher, she has made a commitment to providing a Christian education for my neice Molly.  Moreover she has spared no expense donating her own funds to underprivileged children and families around the world.  This year she taught me about a "new way to give."  This year she actually bought me a gift that enabled me to give to and help others.

World Vision Charities provide authentic assistance to children and their families living in impoverished global communities. Recently, a gift was purchased by Julie, through them and presented in my name and my honor. This particular gift would purchase school supplies for students and resources for teachers in African schools over the course of one year. Gifts were also purchased and given in the honor of other family members. The gift from my mother in law will cover medical vaccines and doctors visits for children in Africa. As a family whose vocation has always been to serve children we were all quite moved by this gift.

Over the year's I have always been impressed by Julie's generous heart and giving spirit, she is one of the most selfless people I know.  Leave it to her on Christmas Day, to show us all, a new way to give.


No comments:

Post a Comment